Following the retirement of Adrian Adams after nearly 50 years’ service as Master of Music and custodian of the three-manual T C Lewis pipe organ (1882, restored 1998), the Vicar and Churchwardens of St John the Evangelist, Upper Norwood wish to appoint a successor. St John’s offers worship to almighty God in the Modern Catholic tradition in the Church of England. We are looking for someone who is:
- an accomplished organist, with a good understanding of the liturgy, and experience in accompanying it;
- an experienced choir director keen to enrich the choral tradition at St John’s;
- committed to encouraging the musical life of the church, including congregational singing;
- able to teach the organ and inspire new musicians for the church, from the local community and beyond;
- an inspiring concert organist wishing to celebrate, maintain and record the Lewis organ;
- willing to work in partnership with the London Mozart Players and the Central Band of the British Legion (both resident at St John’s), bringing world-class music and musicians to this area;
- organised and able to work to a budget and deadlines;
- sympathetic to the ethos and mission of this parish church in the catholic tradition, and, ideally, a communicant Christian.
For further information, please visit the parish website sjun.org.uk or, for a confidential, informal conversation, contact the Vicar, the Reverend John Pritchard, on 020 8771 6686 or 07771 976888, or email email@example.com.
Auditions and interviews will be held on Saturday 24th February 2018.
The successful candidate will be invited to take up the post after Easter 2018, subject to DBS clearance.