The Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society is the largest national charity providing financial assistance to fishermen and merchant mariners and their dependants in need. For 178 years it has been constant in its charitable purpose while adapting to changing economic, demographic and social circumstances. The Society works in co-operation with fellow maritime charities as part of an informal collaborative network that provides different forms of practical support to those experiencing difficulties in their working lives or in retirement.
The Trustees seek a new Chief Executive, on the retirement of the present incumbent, who believes in the charity’s charitable purpose and can manage and take forward its enduring commitment. An individual who will provide inspirational and entrepreneurial leadership whilst adapting to changing economic circumstances and safeguarding the charity’s fine reputation. The charity also operates an in-house trading company which makes a significant contribution to the charity’s funds, as well as advertising the charity’s work to the wider public. The Chief Executive is the Company Secretary of the Trading Company.
The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level or professional equivalent and will have:
- Achieved demonstrable success in a senior management and leadership role.
- Strategic vision, sound judgement, adaptability, energy, stamina and resilience.
- Strong leadership skills, able to work effectively with trustees, staff, supporters, donors, partner organisations and other external bodies.
- Sound financial management and investment knowledge and experience.
- Experience of the charity sector and a natural commitment to the wellbeing of others.
- Excellent administrative, governance, IT and staff management skills.
- Excellent written and communication skills, including public speaking.
- Initiative and self-motivation.
- Clear ability to engage with the maritime sector.
Please download the candidate brief above for further information
Apply below with a CV and Personal Statement addressing the person specification
For an informal confidential discussion call Keith Ridland on 07775 675891 or 020 3126 4858 or Richard Evans on 07958 984161 or 020 3126 4858
Final Panel Interviews and Presentation: 1 November 2017
To find out more visit: www.shipwreckedmariners.org.uk